Back-to-School Car Maintenance
The new school year is a busy and exciting time for everyone. Whether you’re a parent rushing to get your kids to school, or a college student headed back to campus, it’s important that your car is ready to go whenever you’re going.
We’ve created a Back to School Car Maintenance Checklist that will make getting your car ready for the school year a breeze!
Here’s our Back-to-School Car Maintenance Checklist:
- Tires – Check out your tires! If your tires are worn-out or improperly inflated it can cause lower fuel efficiency, decreased stopping ability, and poor traction. Fun fact- to check your tire’s tread, grab a penny and place it upside down in the groove of the tread. If you can see the top of Abe’s head, it’s time for new tires!
- Brakes – Have your brakes inspected regularly. Worn-out brakes can decrease your car’s ability to stop! Be sure to get your brakes checked if you hear any squealing or grinding when you brake, or if you feel any vibrating, pulling, or shaking while braking.
- Battery – Most batteries last three to five years unless they are in extreme climates. If you hear a clicking sound when you try to start your engine and notice dim headlights or flickering lights on your dashboard, you may want to get your battery tested. Keep an eye on your battery – when you pop the hood and check for any corrosion around the terminals. Excessive corrosion is a red flag for your battery. PSA: Berger offers free battery testing if your car battery is under your hood!
- Fluids – Regular oil changes are a necessity! Make sure you check, change or top off your wiper fluid, brake fluid, and power steering fluid while you’re at it!
- Lights – Grab a friend and have them walk around your car when it’s in park to make sure that all of the lights are in working order. Be sure to test the hazard lights, turn signals, headlights, and rear lights!
- Wiper Blades – A good rule of thumb is to replace your blades every six to twelve months. As wiper blades age, the rubber on them deteriorates. This can cause streaks, smears and decreased visibility. West Michigan weather can be quite unpredictable. You don’t want bad wiper blades in the middle of a downpour!
- Insurance – Make sure your vehicle is properly insured, and that you’re carrying proof of insurance with you while you’re driving. As long as you’re gathering the essentials, don’t forget to grab your license and registration! If you need a vehicle insurance card holder to secure your items, stop by Berger Collision Center today and we’ll give you one for free.
- Emergency Kit – Hopefully you’ll never need to use it, but it’s vital to be prepared for the unexpected. Be sure to pack some jumper cables, basic tools and a first aid kit!
- Spare Tire & Jack – Out of sight, out of mind, right? However, it’s important to check on your spare tire and jack to make sure they’re in good shape if you ever need them!
Not too bad, huh? However, we know you’re busy getting ready for the school year, so why not let us do the work for you?
Come to Berger for your back-to-school car maintenance!
Check out our Quick Service lanes. There is no appointment necessary!
Did you know that during one of our full-service oil changes, our team will perform preventative maintenance as needed? That includes wiper blades, air filter, and light bulb checks, along with tire tread checks and tire rotations. Remember, you can also have your battery tested for free.
Back-to-school car maintenance is important. Whether it’s you or your child getting ready for the new school year, we hope that you have a fun and safe ride there!